Marketing, advertising, and communications professional with skills in copywriting, design and web development.
Digital Communications Manager
Cheung Kong Graduate School of Business Beijing, China 2012
Cheung Kong Graduate School of Business is China’s most prominent non-profit, independent business school. I oversee the School’s English language websites, as well as develop and implement online advertising and social media marketing campaigns. In this position, I provide leadership to the school in terms of how to reach non-Chinese and overseas markets using social media, the web, online advertising, and EDM. Cheung Kong Graduate School of Business is China’s most prominent non-profit, independent business school, with 3 campuses in China, plus offices in London, NYC, and Hong Kong.
- Rebuilt the CKGSB Knowledge website (http://knowledge.ckgsb.edu.cn) in WordPress, improved site structure for SEO, and got the site registered with Google News and other sites. These efforts resulted in an over 300% increase in traffic within two months.
- Lead and managed the design and development of CKGSB’s new English website (http;//english.ckgsb.edu.cn), working closely with the web design firm and key internal stakeholders to deliver a new site that better appeals to the school’s target audience.
- Manage the school’s international advertising, both print and online, with a focus on branding ads. Duties include strategy, scheduling, messaging, placement, coordinating between departments, and maintaining relationships with advertising platforms.
- Work closely with the editor of the Knowledge website to promote articles, build community, and improve SEO for individual article and the site as a whole
- Worked with internal marketing departments to train teams on best practices for SEM campaigns
- Managed a social media agency to conduct a campaign focused on the School’s 10th anniversary. This campaign targeted a highly influential business audience and resulted in more interest in the school from thought leaders in the business community.
- Participated in the hiring process, including writing JDs and interviewing recruitment firms
Communications Manager/Project Manager
The PAE Group Beijing, China 2010–2012
Played a wide variety of roles within this company which builds and owns businesses.
- Part of a three-person team tasked with spearheading innovation, business creation, and idea management
- Developed a product for Apple’s iMac and produced samples for test sales; project included everything from writing a business plan and preparing financial statements to sourcing, production, and marketing
- Assisted with the creative development of a branded iPad “smart comic,” SitCom, magazine-style morning show, and several short branded films
- Developed communications, branding, and marketing plans
- Researched, submitted, and developed business ideas and models
- Provided feedback on business plans submitted to the company and proposed improvements
- Prepared pitches and presentations
- Wrote, designed, and developed websites for HQ and operating companies
Thoren Marketing Beijing, China 2008–2011
Clients included Landor Associates, Hill & Knowlton, and Trans-PR.
- Wrote for international companies such as BEA, China Union Pay, Haier, Axiata,
Chery Auto, Volvo, and Malapit bank
- Started and ran PPC ad writing service for small businesses
- Edited Chinese to English translations
- Most impressive accomplishment: Writing the tagline for Haier International,
Kessler Group San Francisco, CA 2005–2008
Created concepts and wrote copy for direct-response agency specializing in financial services.
- Part of a team that generated millions of dollars in revenues using direct marketing
- Worked with major brands, including Washington Mutual, GE Money, PayPal, Sears, PetSmart, Better Homes and Gardens, ESPN, and Lexus
- Wrote direct mail letters and email, POS brochures, PPC ads, and marketing material
- Helped create pitches for new business, successfully bringing in new clients
Providian Financial San Francisco, CA 2000–2005
Conception, design, and production of direct mail and e-mail solicitations, corporate newsletters, posters, brochures, logos, and banner ads.
Designer, San Francisco Bay Guardian San Francisco, CA 1997–1999
Production Artist and Web Coordinator, Isthmus Newspaper Madison, WI 1994–1997
Copywriting Intern, UW Press Marketing Dept. Madison, WI 1993
Technical Proofreader, Allen Press Lawrence, KS 1991
University of Kansas — B.A. English, 1991
- Adept at finding creative solutions for both business and marketing needs
- Experienced in creating high-quality marketing materials, including direct mail, web,
in-store collateral, and other customer-facing material
- Making brand attributes come alive through storytelling
- Naming and taglines that express brand values
- Web development skills using WordPress as a CMS
- CSS and html coding ability
Interests and Activities
- Improving business knowledge and skills
- Following developments science, and technology
- Building websites in WordPress
- International travel and world affairs
- Learning Chinese